Level 1- Trained
- Complete all the modules in the Fairfax County CERT class, either at the F&E Academy or at another venue within Fairfax County.
- FEMA IS-317 Introduction to Community Emergency Response Teams
CERTs from other jurisdictions may be accepted upon unanimous approval of the Volunteer Program Lead, the Community Lead Instructor, and the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue CERT Program Lead Instructor. Specific classes maybe required.
Level 2 - Active
- Participation in CERT Teams
- FEMA IS-100 Introduction to Incident Command
- FEMA IS-700 National Incident Command System, an Introduction
- ≥ 2 Fairfax County CERT exercises per year, e.g. class final, master exercise or other sanctioned exercise
- Positive Background check administered by Fairfax County
- ≥ 3 Fairfax County CERT monthly program meetings per year
- Current CPR and Basic First Aid certification
- CERT Community Assessment Training (CAP; Formerly "Windshield Survey") - exceptions can be made for those without smart phones
- Hostile Environments First Aid class
- Any Blood Bourne Pathogen or Infectious Control class
ID card will be issued when all the requirements have been met, and is valid for three years. Can be utilized for deployment.
Level 3 - Advanced
- FEMA IS-200 Incident Command System
- CERT Hazardous Materials continuing education class
- CERT Traffic and Crowd Management continuing education class
- CERT Emergency Communications continuing education class
- CERT Leadership continuing education class
- CERT Incident Commander continuing education class
- IC of 2 events per year (one may be Outreach)
- Attend ≥ 4 monthly program meetings per year
- ≥ 2 continuing education classes per year
ID card will be updated when all the requirements have been met, and is valid for three years. Can be utilized at the EOC after completion of WebEOC training.