CERT Continued Training
The upcoming CERT only training opportunities are listed here and on the calendar page. Most often, events are posted in the Fairfax Volunteer Management System, but not always.
!! If you register for an event, you are expected to attend !!
No-shows will result in prohibition of future training or operations.
If you cannot make your reservation, PLEASE de-register yourself AND contact the event host.
Wellness and Mindfulness
- Daily Dose of Nature Daily webinar hosted by nature guides around the world, bringing you closer to wildlife we are not able to visit during this challenging time.
- How Boredom Can Lead to Your Most Brilliant Ideas Do you sometimes have your most creative ideas while folding laundry, washing dishes or doing nothing in particular? Learn to love being bored as Manoush Zomorodi explains the connection between spacing out and creativity.
- Its OK to Feel Overwhelmed. Here's what to do next If you're feeling anxious or fearful during the coronavirus pandemic, you're not alone. Offering hope and understanding, author Elizabeth Gilbert reflects on how to stay present, accept grief when it comes and trust in the strength of the human spirit.
- A Life Lesson from a Volunteer Firefighter Volunteer firefighter Mark Bezos tells a story of an act of heroism that didn't go quite as expected -- but that taught him a big lesson: Don't wait to be a hero.
- How to Step up in the Face of a Disaster When a freak tornado hit their hometown, two sisters -- realized they had to jump in and help. What they learned is: After a natural disaster, there's only a tiny window before the world turns its sympathy (and its donations) elsewhere -- so it's important to be prepared for every aspect of recovery.
- Mindful Practices Mindfulness reduces stress, increases focus, and improves your ability to deal with challenges. Practice with executive coach Henna Inam as she leads you in guided mindfulness exercises. (requires account)
- How to Manage Feeling Overwhelmed In this course stress expert and performance coach Heidi Hanna, will teach you how to identify and conquer that overwhelmed feeling - so you can remain focused, productive, and in control in the face of whatever comes your way. (requires account)
- The Science of Well-Being In this course you will engage in a series of challenges designed to increase your own happiness and build more productive habits. As preparation for these tasks, Professor Laurie Santos reveals misconceptions about happiness, annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do, and the research that can help us change. You will ultimately be prepared to successfully incorporate a specific wellness activity into your life.
- Psychological First Aid for First Responders This fact sheet provides tips for emergency and disaster response workers to help disaster survivors cope with the psychological aspects of a traumatic event Preventing and Managing Stress This fact sheet provides tips to help disaster response workers prevent and manage stress while on assignment.
- Preventing & Managing Stress This fact sheet provides tips to help disaster response workers prevent and manage stress while on assignment.
- Understanding Compassion Fatigue This fact sheet explains the causes and signs of compassion fatigue, which is the burnout and secondary trauma disaster response workers can experience. It offers self- care tips for coping, and discusses compassion satisfaction as a protective tool.
Organization, Leadership and Innovation
- Autism Awareness for First Responders This presentation explores autism behaviors, autism wandering statistics, suggests a first responder checklist, resource sheet, first responder tips, etc., and search & rescue guidelines For missing persons with special needs.
- American Sign Language (ASL) Healthcare Signs This video includes the American Sign Language (ASL) alphabet, numbers 0-10, and 16 helpful healthcare related phrases to know in case you come across an emergency involving someone who uses sign language to communicate.
- Top American Sign Language (ASL) for Medical Emergencies Demonstration of American Sign Language (ASL) signs used in a medical emergency
- 10 Signs for Law Enforcement to Learn in Engaging With Deaf/HH & Autistic Communities Demonstration of American Sign Language (ASL) signs that may be used by law enforcement officers to communicate with deaf or hard of hearing individuals.
- FEMA National Response Framework Introduction (IS-800) Course provides guidance for the whole community, focusing especially on those who are involved in delivering and applying the response core capabilities.
- FEMA Common Operating Picture Application (IS-64) This course will familiarize the learner with the controls and functions of the DHS Common Operating Picture (COP) application. Upon completion of this course, the learner will have a general understanding of how to leverage the DHS COP application.
- FEMA Leadership and Influence (IS-240) The goal of this course is to improve your leadership and influence skills. Being able to lead and motivate others to commit their energies and expertise to achieving the shared mission and goals of the emergency management system—is a necessary and vital part of every emergency manager’s, planner’s, and responder’s job.
- FEMA Decision Making & Problem Solving (IS-241) This course is designed to improve your decision-making skills. Being able to make decisions and solve problems effectively is a necessary and vital part of the job for every emergency manager, planner, and responder.
- FEMA Introduction to Hazard Mitigation (IS-393) This course provides an introduction for those who are new to emergency management and/or hazard mitigation.
- FEMA Introduction to Hazardous Materials (IS-5) This course is intended to provide a general introduction to hazardous materials that can serve as a foundation for more specific studies in the future.
- FEMA Community Preparedness; Implementing Simple Activities (IS-909) The purpose of this course is to present a model program for community preparedness.
- FEMA Continuity of Operations Planning for Pandemic Influenzas (IS-520) This course introduces students to the characteristics of a pandemic influenza, the effects that a pandemic influenza can have on every facet of our society, and the steps their organizations can take to minimize the effects of a pandemic.
- FEMA Introduction to Community Response Teams (IS-317) This course is an introduction to the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program for those interested in learning about the CERT program for their own knowledge.
Volunteer Responder Safety, Health & Security\
- Healthcare Workers and Masks - National Emerging Special Pathogens Training and Education Center (NETEC) Leading medical centers funded to train and prepare other U.S. health care facilities for emerging special pathogens. Education and training resources on COVID-19 response and treatment.
- How Soap Kills the Coronavirus (TED- Ed) You've been told a thousand times: wash your hands to stop the spread of COVID-19. But why does this work so well? This video explains why good ol' soap works so well.
- FEMA Safety Orientation 2020 (IS-35) This course is designed to help you understand your safety rights and responsibilities and what you can do to safeguard your own well-being on the job—both in your regular workplace and during deployments.
- FEMA Workplace Security Awareness (IS-906) This course provides guidance to individuals and organizations on how to improve the security in your workplace.
Tactical (Hands-on) Skills
- Person Lift and Carry Demonstration of one person carry technique.
- 2 Person Lift and Carry
- Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT) Application Learn how to apply the C-A-T Tourniquet (Combat Application Tourniquet) with tips for the most effective application to stop bleeding.
- Pressure Bandage Demonstration of pressure bandage techniques using gauze
- Pressure Bandage
- Leveraging and Cribbing Demonstration
- Leveraging and Cribbing Use of rescue cribbing for stabilizing the outside corners while lifting an object from the middle using a fulcrum and lever.
- Leveraging and Cribbing Instructional video on proper use of cribbing in conjunction with stabilization & lifting operations.